Monday, July 27, 2009

What's a Good Milk Alternative for my Toddler?

I have 13 month old son who I am currently breastfeeding. I have recently become pregnant with my second child and have found my milk supply greatly reduced. My husband's family has a history of serious dairy allergy and my youngest brother had a dairy sensitivity as a toddler. So, as I begin weaning my son, the conventional wisdom is to wean to whole milk, but with our family history, I don't think that that is a good option for us. What should I wean him to that will provide adequate nutrition for a growing toddler? Aimee L.

Hi Aimee,

Congratulations on providing your baby with mother nature's best source of nutrition for his entire first year! You must be so proud. And congratulations on his future sibling's arrival, as well ;)

At the age of thirteen months your baby has probably already included a great variety of food in his diet! Milk is what babies live off of for their sole source of nutrition for their first few months, but after they begin eating table food they can get all the nutrients they need without milk.
To assure a nutritional intake, focus on offering him good sources of calcium, such as spinach. Protein will not be a problem as long as he has a balanced diet, even if he's not a big meat eater. There is a food guide pyramid for toddlers to help guide you on food groups and serving sizes at http://www.wholesometoddlerfood.com/pyramid.htm.

If he tolerates some yogurt or string cheese, fine--if not, just keep giving him a variety from the other groups and consider a soy beverage as a substitute, or an inclusive nutritional drink such as pediasure. Many other drinks and cereals are fortified now (even orange juices), so it will be easy to provide him with the calcium, vitamin D, and riboflavin that milk is known for.

No comments:

Post a Comment