Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Does it Matter What Time You Eat?

I am writing to find out if eating late may be affecting my weight. I have heard it's just "calories in calories out" and not specifically what you eat or when. What's your take on this? --Gina F.

Hi Gina,
Yes, I believe it does not matter what time you eat. Case in point: people in Europe eat dinner very very late (10 pm, at which time I am ready for bed!) yet Americans have a higher rate of obesity. I think we eat the wrong foods in the wrong amounts, such as a bag of chips in front of the TV and then some milk and cookies before bed.... time is not necessarily the factor.  It is a matter of consuming too many calories after probably having eaten enough in our breakfast, lunch, dinner, and other snacks! I can tell you plenty of people have a healthy evening snack like a piece of fruit, a bowl of cereal, or even a small serving of milk and cookies, and are of perfectly normal weight.

No comments:

Post a Comment