Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Is a Juicer or a Blender Better for Increasing my Fruit and Vegetable Intake?

I am trying to consume more fruits and vegetables in order to lose weight and get more soluble fiber to lower my LDL cholesterol. I'm trying to figure out if it's better to use a juicer (because I've heard this leaves out some of the fiber) or a blender (which I understand makes the food more difficult to digest).  Thanks, Joe. S.

Dear Joe,
It seems to me, chewing your fruits and vegetables naturally blenderizes them. When the chewed food gets to your stomach and the acid starts to break it down you are naturally juicing them! You can get enough soluble fiber from eating most fruits and vegetables with the skin on, such as apples, plums, cucumbers, etc.

Aim for 9-12 fruits and vegetables (combined) per day to get all the vitamins and fiber you need from this food group. You might want to start out slowly (increase by 2-3 servings a day) if you aren't used to all that fiber to give your gastrointestinal tract time to adjust. Bloating and stomach aches can be signs of taking in too much fiber too fast.

1 comment:

  1. I tested a lot of weight loss programs, pills and diets for couple of years now. Atkins diet is one example but I’m not really satisfied with it because it’s making my body weak.
    I’m on Medifast Diet right now. So far I don’t feel weak like when I’m using Atkins. The caloric intake is around 800-1000 calories.
    It’s a bit pricey, but there are plenty of coupons available on the internet (i.e. http://www.swoopup.com/stores/deals/Medifast-Diet ). Even if you don’t pay full price.
    My advice is just choose a diet plan which your body reacts positively to. No one knows your body better than you do!

    ReplyDelete