Thursday, July 23, 2009

How Does the South Beach Diet Compare to Atkin's Diet?

When I tried the Atkin's Diet several years ago, I felt terrible, I almost passed out at work. I knew something was wrong with my body and I stopped. I presume that is the ketosis that your body goes through which you have spoken of regarding this diet plan. I have struggled with my weight my whole life (I’m sure you hear this often) but am curious if you would put the South Beach Diet in the same category? It was recommended by my doctor and seems to navigate the dieter to healthier carbs instead of no carbs at all. Thanks! Barbara R.

You are correct about the South Beach diet encouraging some carbs, as opposed to the Atkin's Diet which encourages a long-time severe restriction. The South Beach plan starts out with a severe carbohydrate restriction, but after a couple of weeks, those foods with lower glycemic index are added back in… Sweets continue to be on the “no-no” list, and healthy portions are encouraged. Also, this diet encourages more “healthy fats” and in general stresses healthier eating for life–instead of a “diet” to go off as soon as the weight is lost. Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment