Monday, August 6, 2012

Why Six Meals a Day?

First I would like to point out that your blogs are some of the most helpful tools I've found during my weight loss process, so thank you. I'm 21 years old, use to be a heavy smoker and about 170lb. I'm currently 125lb no longer a smoker however my question (s) for you guides more towards changing into a more fitness life style. I'm aware I have to start eating 6 meals a day and add a before working shake and an after work out shake, however I'm just not sure how much I should be eating, and what I should be eating? Supplements? if you could reply and maybe help me out i would be extremely grateful.  I will be continuing to read your blogs :) thank you again.  Olivia C.

Hi Olivia, 
Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm so glad my writing was of help to you.

As to your question: I'm not sure what your goals are: for what reason would you change to eating 6 meals a day in addition to shakes? These are eating habits we may see for a body builder who is trying to bulk up, and needs to eat a lot of calories.
How were you eating when you lost nearly 50 pounds? If it was a healthy diet, you may want to just continue with a similar plan.

If you are working out heavily and no longer desire to lose weight, a supplement/shake might work for you to get in some additional calories and protein. Something like Carnation Instant Breakfast drink is fine (calories, protein, taste, and affordability) if you don't have the appetite to eat more. Personally, I would rather eat 250 calories than drink them or get them in a small protein bar! 

When eating 6 meals a day, they will have to be small ones, or you will gain back the weight you worked so hard to lose! Consider three meals and two snacks, perhaps. A snack containing from protein (egg, peanut butter, cheese, yogurt) and some complex carbs (crackers, cereal, whole grain bread) is a good starting place.

Sites like TheDailyPlate.com, SparkPeople.com, FitDay.com and LoseIt.com help you calculate your energy (calorie) needs based on your height, weight, goal weight, and activity level.

I wish you continued success in your healthy lifestyle!

Laurie

No comments:

Post a Comment