Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I would just like to lose 10 pounds

Hi, I feel a little funny writing because I only want to lose 10 pounds. It's not even a matter of health. I just know I would feel better if I were 10 pounds lighter. I'm a 41 year old female, 5'4" weighing 140 pounds. I just want to get back to where I was a few years ago. I don't know what changed--I can't think of anything--and I am so frustrated I don't know where to start. Can you just point me in the right direction. It's so confusing hearing about all the diets I'm not sure what would work. I don't really think a diet is the right answer. Cynthia F.

Hi Cynthia,
It's quite common to put on a few pounds over several years and not even realize it. Keep in mind that by changing just 20 calories a day--that's right, just 20!--you can gain two pounds a year. So it's not even noticeable...until a few years later when you're up 8 or 10 pounds. Now the clothes are getting tight--now it's serious!
So how do you lose it? The same way you gained it. Only, hopefully a bit quicker!

Take a look at some small things that may have changed in your lifestyle: Did you pick up a habit like having a creamy latte at your Monday meetings or an ice cream or alcoholic beverage after work on Fridays? Did you stop taking 2 flights of stairs because you changed jobs or moved from where you used to live? Have you slacked on your exercise routine because you're dating someone new? Or started eating out more than you used to (it's terribly difficult to watch calories when you don't know what's in that dish you ordered).

Even if you can't figure it out, it's easy to find a way to cut 100 calories from your diet and lose that 10 pounds over a year. Want to lose it quicker? Lose another 100 or so from sweets and added fats, and add a 100-calorie burning exercise, like just a 20-minute walk in the evening.

My best advice is always to keep a food and exercise diary. There are a lot of websites that make this easy, or you can do it the old-fashioned way (I do) with just a pencil and paper. Writing down what you eat makes you think about it and acknowledge it. Knowing that cinnamon roll could stand between you and that pound you want to lose this month may just be all the motivation you need to say no!

Think about having a buddy to partner with, or even a coach to get you started and staying on track (www.mycoachlaurie.com has a list of products and services). A lot of the websites keep you motivated by letting you link to other buddies, and award you token 'prizes' for staying the course.

Whatever you choose be sure it's the right way for you--it shouldn't be too complicated or rigid, and should eventually become a healthy habit, so you'll never find yourself in this situation again :)

1 comment:

  1. Heya i'm for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you helped me.
    Also see my website: sports nutrition

    ReplyDelete