Thursday, July 29, 2010

Is There a Supplement That Increases Metabolism?

Hi!  I am 41 years old, but still feel young and look young, like I did when I was about 30. I have been eating less but I feel like my metabolism is slowing down. I do go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week and I eat very healthy at breakfast and lunch, but I like ice cream and salty snacks in the evening. I try to eat fruit instead, and control my cravings, but is there any supplement you can recommend that will increase my metabolism? I've already had my thyroid checked and it is fine.  Thanks!  Susie K.

Dear Susie,

It's great that you are aware of healthier food choices to make, and that you do go to the gym two or three times a week. I'm not sure why you feel your metabolism is decreased, but there isn't much chance of that. From age 30 to 40 the average woman's metabolic rate is reduced by about 40 calories a day--not something you're likely to notice.

What does keep your metabolism going is exercise! You might consider adding a mile walk (about 18 minutes at a fairly brisk pace) to your regimen. Each day this will burn an extra 100 calories--more than enough to compensate for the 40 calories your body isn't burning due to the process of aging. Each month this is enough to promote a pound of weight loss--which is more than 10 pounds by this time next year, just from walking a mile a day!

As for the night-time cravings, you can fit a low-calorie treat into your diet when you're eating smart the rest of the day and doing some form of exercise. I like the Skinny Cow Ice Cream Treats, like ice cream sandwiches and fudge bars, which have just about 140 calories and taste great.

Also consider keeping a food diary so you can have an objective view of how you really eat on a daily basis. It's helpful for cueing you to think before you eat, and may encourage you to think about whether you really want to add those calories to your daily intake, or have a glass of water and/or take a quick walk instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment