Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How Can I Get Motivated to Lose Weight?

Hi Laurie,
I am 45 years old and I have over 100 pounds to lose.  I want to know where to begin. I would like to know what is good carbs and what is bad I'm desperate to lose weight. About 4 years ago I dropped 63 pounds on my own but I cant seem to get that motivation again. I can't seem to even get off the couch and I had cut out most carbs.and was eating much lighter but now I have no self control. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated I know it's not going to come off over night but a little bit of progress quick would sure help to motivate. Thanks, Rochelle M.

Dear Rochelle,
It's important that you realize the first step is to somehow spark motivation before you can be successful. You know if you just start a "diet" this week you'll be back to square one by next week. Here's what I suggest: Over the next few days, take the time to make a serious list of 5 reasons you would like to lose weight.
Each time you come up with a reason, list underneath it "why is this important to me"? After you are able to identify why it is important, ask the question once again of the answer you came up with.
So it might look like this:
"I want to lose weight to look better in my clothes."
Why? "I will feel more confident and be able to go out more".
Why is this important? "Because I miss going out and feeling good and I would look forward to getting back to that lifestyle again".

Now, you have something to motivate you to get off the couch... you want a life you enjoy!
Four more times, and you'll have a list of reasons that will stimulate you to go for a walk or join an exercise class, pass on the chips or avoid the buffet line. You will realize that taking care of yourself for your future is so much more of a payoff than the 5 minutes you spend to enjoy a chocolate bar.

I would suggest not focusing on a "diet" or cutting out carbs or eating lighter.
Look at the DASH eating plan or the food guide pyramid or other very healthy eating plans (recommended by public health agencies and dietitians) and focus on feeding your body nutritious foods that will make you feel good and strong and vibrant--not what you must avoid (because that often leads to feelings of deprivation).

If you are enjoying whole grains, lean meats, low-fat dairy products, fruits, vegetables, and nuts while drinking plenty of water, you will be too full to worry about not having cupcakes and ice cream or counting carb grams or measuring portion sizes.

It's great that you are not looking for  a quick fix, but just some progress in the right direction. Take the time now to come up with the best plan that will work for you, and you'll continue to see progress in the weeks to come. Please write back and let me know how you're doing with the plan you choose!

1 comment:

  1. All your tips are great. I am a firm believer that diets don't work. Especially the ones that restrict your intake of the foods you love. Then you just want those foods more and end up over indulging. It is all about portion control and you can still eat what you love.

    http://healthylifestylealternatives.com

    http://thehealthylifestyledream.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete