Sunday, April 25, 2010

I Have Trouble Digesting High Glycemic Index Foods

Dear Laurie,
I think I have carbohydrate intolerance. I have always eaten lots of breads and cereals, but always had bad gas and bloating, along with other symptoms.

Last week I cut out all carbs and I feel SO much better and even lost a pound!

Now I have discovered low glycemic carbs like yams and converted rice.
Can I eat these types of carbs, or in my case are ALL carbs bad-even the low glycemic ones?

Dear Bea,

Glycemic Index is a measure of how much blood sugar levels raise after eating a specific amount of carbohydrate food. There is no relationship between glycemic index and digestion.

What you may have is an intolerance to gluten, the protein found in wheat and some other grains. People who are allergic to gluten have symptoms as you have described: gas, bloating, abdominal discomfort, and diarrhea. The reason rice and potatoes do not cause distress is because they do not contain gluten.

I would suggest you see a gastroenterologist, or at least your family physician, for a thorough check-up. They can rule out any other conditions and provide you with a gluten free diet to try and see how you feel on it.
Find more information from this gastroenterology website on gluten free diets.

No comments:

Post a Comment