Thursday, January 28, 2010

How Do I Get Enough Potassium in My Diet?

I know that the RDA of potassium for an adult is 3,500 mg. A banana has about 420 mg of potassium.
I eat about 6 bananas/day. How do I get the remaining? I am trying to keep my blood pressure in check. I am 140/90.  Marcus

Dear Marcus,
Actually the recommendation for potassium is 4700 mg per day. But it can--and should--be reached by eating a variety of foods in the diet! There is no need to have more than one banana per day, and having many servings of one food are preventing you from getting nutrients that other foods provide.
Other great sources of potassium (that are common in most people's usual diet) are potatoes, sweet potatoes, citrus fruits, tomatoes, milk, meat and fish. It is rare to see a potassium deficiency from a poor diet since it is abundant in so many food groups.
Here is more information about potassium in foods: http://www.csrees.usda.gov/nea/food/pdfs/hhs_facts_sodium.pdf
And since you are watching your blood pressure, there is a great diet for keeping it lower (although this is a 64-page book!) http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment