Saturday, June 20, 2009

Are There Any Good Diets That Will Help Me Lose Weight Fast?

Hi,
I wanted to know if there are any good diets that will help me lose weight fast. I get discouraged very easily when I'm not losing. I especially crave sweets. When I'm frustrated with the slow weight loss I just chuck the whole idea and gain the weight back... what can I do? --Denise S.

Dear Denise,

I'm pretty sure you know the answer to this.... And my answer is "No" there aren't any good, fast weight loss diets.

Any diet you go on will help you lose weight in the short run but you know you'll just gain it back again. Instead of a diet, come up with some healthy eating goals that are very do-able! Like "This week I will eat a fruit one time every day when I crave a sweet"... just once each day! It will take time to train your brain to be thinking healthy but it will happen. Just take it slow. Think about how you are feeling when you crave sweets and instead of fighting with your inner child (who always throws a tantrum and screams YES I WANT THAT NOW!) ask yourself what it is you really want: what is it that the sweet will give you?
Is it comfort? If so is there something else that will comfort you, like a phone call to a friend?
Is it boredom? If so is there a good book you've been wanting to read that you could pick up with a piece of fruit :)

Weight loss is difficult--that's why so many people are overweight. The best way to get the extra pounds off is slow and steady, by developing new and healthy habits. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this if you haven't heard it before: There are no good fast diets ;)

1 comment:

  1. That's true. I think one should not skip meals. We can remain healthy and fit if we take balance diet and some exercise.

    ReplyDelete