Monday, December 12, 2011

Help: I can't lose weight!

I am a 19-year old female college athlete and I can't lose weight. I am 5'1" and 145 pounds. I get plenty of exercise, and I try to eat less but it doesn't seem to work. What can I do?  Rebecca L.

Dear Rebecca,
I'm sorry to hear of your challenge, and I hope I can help.
In order to eat less and lose weight it's almost essential to keep a food log. When you say, "I try to eat less but it doesn't seem to work" I infer the attempt was not a serious and consistent one. In other words, we often try hard for one meal or skip one snack, but then indulge later in the day, making up for the calories we tried so hard to avoid.
When a person loses weight by eating less, it's something that must become a way of life in order to lose weight and keep it off!
So, start by eliminating all the "empty calories" in your diet--sodas, candy, cakes, and cookies. Focus on eating healthy, whole grains and fruits and vegetables at each meal. Consider having a fruit or vegetable as a snack, or peanut butter and crackers instead of a candy bar or chips. Choose broiled or baked food at meals instead of fried. And limit the dressing you pour over a salad.
This doesn't mean you can never have a sweet food again--but if you're trying to lose weight it would be a good idea to pick a "cheat day" and enjoy this type of food only once or twice a week.


Helpful websites to keep your food log include http://www.sparkpeople.com/ and http://www.fitday.com/. They will count your calories for you!


Keep me posted on your progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment