Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Why Do I Feel Full After Eating a Small Amount?

I have a problem with getting too full very quickly even from eating a small amount of food. I don't have any digestive problems other than occasional constipation. But sometimes I skip a meal because I'm just not hungry, and when I feel hungry later I get full right away. I have been under a good deal of stress and wonder if this can be related?  Sonia C.

Dear Sonia,
Stress can certainly affect our appetites a great deal! Some people eat when they are stressed and others find they can barely eat all day. Still others lose their appetite when they are especially happy or excited.
If you notice you can eat fine when you're relaxed, but have a greatly diminished appetite when you're stressed, then it's likely due to stress. In this case, many people find it much easier to drink than to eat. Beverages like SlimFast and Carnation Instant Breakfast Drink are designed to be a meal replacement, providing a good deal of protein, vitamins, and minerals.

If you go several days without an appetite, or find you are losing weight because of it, do visit a physician just to rule out the possibility of a physical issue. There are many things that can cause these feelings called "early satiety" and they will often have a quick fix such as a simple antacid or a laxative. But only a qualified physician can diagnose your situation after a careful history and physical. It will probably put your mind at ease to visit your doctor just to be on the safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment